Friday, August 30, 2013

First harvest


My interests are not ONLY in Star Trek.  :) 

I am also aspiring to be an urban homesteader and I love emergency preparedness.  I will be doing a blog post on emergency preparedness - probably for tomorrow or Sunday - because I have had yet another dream of earthquakes (this makes four in about four weeks).  




But for now, here's pictures of the first fall - late summer harvests!  Our apartment complex has little mini gardens in front of each apartment and most of them are planted.  I'm growing two types of tomatoes, pickling/lemon/slicing cukes in front of one neighbor's apartment.  I also have containers in the parking lot and an 8x8 in the back next to the creek.  I harvested garlic and shallots, and get chard and blackberries daily.  The potatoes are doing well.  The potato onions are eight feet tall and I don't know quite how to harvest them, as the greenery has become entangled in mesh fencing to keep out the raccoons and nutria.  I'll figure it out.  I love fall.  I cannot wait for apples - cider, apple sauce, pie filling.  Here's some pix of the harvest and stuff I've canned. 

tomatoes, lemon cuke and garlic!

No comments:

Post a Comment