Monday, August 19, 2013

It Gets Better: Zachary Quinto

It Gets Better: Zachary Quinto



Deciding what to do for my very first blog post was not all that difficult. 

In May, I went to see the new movie Star Trek Into Darkness, and became nostalgic for my own years working on Star Trek.  First, I found Lindsay Robinson who has the website www.startrekmagic.com while searching for a mailing address for Zachary Quinto, the new guy playing Spock. Lindsay also happens to be an admin over at ZQ’s Facebook forum website, so I spent my horribly boring summer playing online over there.  In addition, I did a set of three interviews for her site, and in them I mention wanting to make a difference and not knowing how.  Second, I read a great book Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, which really hit me in the gut with its message to live authentically and take action to make connections.  Third, I read a book by the psychic Sylvia Browne where she says each person has a Primary Life Theme when we incarnate.  What jumped out at me was the Life Theme of “Catalyst” – to quote, “They are society’s “spurs” who are here to inspire, mobilize, and make things happen.  They’re the first in a group to say, “Let’s stop talking about it and just do it,” and they especially excel under stress.  Their biggest hurdle is trying to feel at peace without a project to take on and accomplish.” (1)  Besides being my son’s mother and advocate, I have been looking for a way to make a difference for a long time on a larger scale. 

The convergence of these three things took place within a two week period at the beginning of August 2013.  The synchronicity could not be denied – this was beyond coincidence.  I have wanted to blog for a while now, but I needed a reason.  I did not know much about Zachary Quinto prior to this summer, and while reading some of the interviews he’s done and stuff he’s said since STID, I was impressed as hell, to say the least.  Then it occurred to me that a LOT of the Star Trek actors are deep and thoughtful people (I have met and worked with three different ST casts – DS9, TNG and Voyager), and it seems silly to share pretty pictures online without examining the other side of the coin – the human being beneath the pretty picture.  I thought it would be nice to share some of the profound things these people have said and done as human beings, not as their Star Trek characters.  The idea crashed over me like a wave.  This blog was born. 

Now, why is Zachary Quinto the guinea pig for my first post?  He is a talented actor and producer, an interesting human being and is incredibly eloquent, but he is only one of many in the Star Trek universe.  I chose him first mostly because of this quote and his ability to walk the talk: “I believe in the power of intention to change the landscape of our society – and it is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action.”(2).  Who speaks like this anymore?  It’s beautiful.  As I also have that goal, to live an authentic life of service, it jumped out at me immediately.  And another quote:  “I think all of us in this industry can encourage dialog and discourse about socially and politically relevant topics,” Quinto says, “It is incumbent upon us to do it to a certain extent.”(3)  Point taken and challenge accepted!

I admire his bravery in coming out as gay as an up-and-coming actor/ producer in Hollywood.  That alone is laudable, but he is also doing what he can to save the lives of young queer people.  How much more noteworthy is that?  It beats simply acting in a television show or movie any day.  As a pansexual person myself, I am thankful for people in the public eye who take a stand for what’s right and good and true.  Therefore, my first post includes his video for the website “It Gets Better”, at http://www.itgetsbetter.org .   In addition, he supports “The Trevor Project”, a national organization which provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention to LGBTQ youth, at http://www.thetrevorproject.org/ .

Transcript of his “It Gets Better” Video: “I’m Zachary Quinto and I want to add to the chorus of voices rising up against the kind of hatred and ridicule that led to the senseless and heartbreaking suicides of Asher Brown, Seth Walsh, Billy Lucas, Tyler Clemente and Raymond Chase in just the past few months in this country. And those are only the names that we’ve come to know. There are countless other teens and young adults who are struggling to find a sense of identity and belonging in a chaotic and often unforgiving world.

And to you, I say it gets better. There is help to be found. There are places to turn. There are people who will listen at Trevorproject.org, 1-866-4U-Trevor, is a place to start. Start there -- start anywhere -- but start by believing that life is worth living, and you will find your way. And I am proud to be a voice that stands to remind you of that, any time you ever come close to forgetting it.”

Bravo, Zach, bravo!  I give you a standing ovation.  Thank you for making a difference.

(1)        Page 230, Life on the Other Side by Sylvia Browne. 



3 comments:

  1. Great post. I really admire Zach Quinto for all he does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking forward to your blog :) glad it's live now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Autumn and Jenna! I'm glad you're here :D

    ReplyDelete