Saturday, November 30, 2013

Letters of Note - Star Trek casting

I discovered the website "Letters of Note" this past summer, when I was off work and had a lot of time for reading.  It is intriguing.  It calls itself an "attempt to gather and sort fascinating letters, postcards, telegraphs, faxes and memos" - a compilation of correspondence from a wide variety of political figures, actors, authors, average Joe's with something important to say, and other people of interest.  Many of the letters are heartbreaking, some are funny, others poignant.  All make for a good read.  

It has come to my attention that it is being compiled in book-form and won't be available until May (and will contain only 100 letters instead of the 900+ on the website).  [I would sure like to know how a certain Star Trek actor got what apparently must be an advance copy - I guess having connections helps!  I am sooo jealous.]  Apparently, I got all excited for nothing seeing a hard copy in someones hands.  I will have to take the book off my Christmas wish list and put it on my May birthday wish list instead.  < sigh >   Not that there is anything wrong with reading online.  I do a lot of online reading.  I am just in love with the feel of a book in my hands. I love the smell of paper and the sound of a page being turned. I enjoy seeing stacks of books pushed up against my walls where my son and I have run out of bookshelf space. I love having a pile of books-in-progress on the coffee table.  I love being able to get lost in a story, tucked into a blanket on my couch with a cup of coffee I have forgotten completely about.  Patience is a virtue I reluctantly possess, so I shall try to curb my enthusiasm until May.  That doesn't mean I have to like it.

In keeping with many things Trek related on my site, the first letter I will post from the website is a memo on the casting process for The Next Generation.  Read it, and smile :)


No comments:

Post a Comment